Lewis and Clark Cycling Trek

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Lewis and Clark State Park to Sioux City, IA- Day 8- 44.67 mi.

Our tent has been intiated with wind and rain! After retiring for the evening, high winds in the 30-40 mph range started up followed by thunderstorms the remainder of the night. The tent (and its occupants) held up well, but didn't get a very good night's sleep. We awoke at 8:00 a.m.snug and dry. We were on the road by 9:15. The terrain remains very flat with winds from the east today. Not exactly a tailwind but not a headwind either, thank goodness. We are headed today for one of the last big cities of the trip, Sioux City, IA. We decided at Salix, IA, where we stopped for lunch to get a motel room so we could upload the last 3 days and have a swim in the pool. We also have some minor things we need to take care of at a bicycle shop in Sioux City. I must say that Sioux City is one of the most confusing cities in which to bike. On the outskirts, we called the Best Western where we had a reservation to get directions downtown. It was so complicated, the motel "air traffic controller" as I called her, had to research the best way and call us back. We finally made it and, while doing the laundry, we soaked in the Best Western's fine pool. Ahhhhhhhh!!
Seventh graders, here is your question for the day: On Lewis and Clark's trip to the Pacific, only one man died along the way and that was in the present day Sioux City, IA. What was this man's name and what do historians think he actually died from?

P.S. Spokewrench would write something, but he is too busy watching the NBA finals. Go Pistons!!

-Clarkwheel

5 Comments:

  • Well it sounds like the trip is going great so far. I am so glad I can follow along on this blog. Will you be able to hit any of the L&C reenactments that are going on in that part of the country?
    Stay safe!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:31 AM  

  • Sorry Tai... I beg to differ. I have to cheer for my good old Timmy (haha)Anyway the won the championship so GO SPURS! Well it sounds like you both are well on your way... AND DON'T FORGET TO WEAR SUNSCREEN! lol im sure you won't forget. Keep having fun and stay cool.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:47 PM  

  • Yeah, I would have to say that I agree with natalie..... GO SPURS!! Also it sounds like you guys are doing great. Sooo...... GOOD LUCK!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:08 PM  

  • Hey Guys! Kiki again! I just returned from my NYC trip with Mom, Ange, and my aunt. It was fun...but a whirlwind! It's good to be home. Anyways, I thought I'd check in and see how you are doing. Sounds like everything's great! I'm glad that you're meeting some interesting people and enjoying yourselves. Continue to stay safe!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:48 PM  

  • Thanks for all your comments, everyone. I wish I could answer each of you individually, but we are on a limited connection tonight. Take care all.
    ClarkWheel

    By Blogger ClarkWheel, at 8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home