Lewis and Clark Cycling Trek

Friday, July 01, 2005

Fort Thompson, SD to Pierre, SD- Day 18- 65.73 mi.

Hey! Finally, good wind! The wind was light from the southeast today. What a wonderful change! We turned out 65+ miles today to get us to Pierre, SD. We were able to do the 65 miles in approximately the same amount of time it took us to do the 30 miles yesterday against the wind. Today we bicycled through the Crow Creek Sioux Indian Reservation for most of the day. We saw a great deal of open range. In several cases, we could see all around us for perhaps 20 miles and couldn't see anything but prairie; no houses, buildings, or signs of civilization. As we came into Pierre, we stopped at the Farm Island State Campground to secure a site. Again we ran into the, "Campground Full" problem. This time, however, we couldn't get a site at all....I forgot, this is the July 4th weekend. So we turned around and headed on into the city of Pierre. We stopped at a Subway for a bite, having not had anything to eat for about 50 miles, and inquired about other campsites in the area. Everyone was pretty vague about where and how to get into one, so we finally just called around and found a Days Inn for the night. A soft bed and hot shower sounds pretty good anyway. We also stopped at the only bike shop we have seen since Council Bluffs, IA. Yesterday, I didn't mention that I wore out my rear tire. It developed a bulge early in the day and it popped just before arriving at Fort Thompson. The tire was destroyed, so I replaced it with my spare, but that meant we were without a spare. I said all of that to explain why we went to the bike shop in Pierre today. I bought 2 new tires for Tai's bike and replaced his. Now we will use his old tires for spares because they will fold up and fit in our trailers (the bike shop didn't have any folding tires).
Seventh Grade Question:
Tonight we are Pierre. Most people outside of South Dakota pronounce Pierre, (Pea AIR). We soon found out that South Dakotains do not pronounce it that way. What is the South Dakota pronunciation for Pierre? There are two words that are homonyms of how it is really pronounced. Just give us one or both of those homonyms.
-ClarkWheel

P.S. Just so there is no confusion, I will always answer your comments on the SAME day you made the comment. Don't forget to go back to that day to see our responses to your comments.

2 Comments:

  • Clark Wheel and Spoke Wrench! Greetings from back home in Leesburg :) I just got your blog address. This is great! What an adventure. I feel your pain about a blown out tire...I did that last weekend. Luckily I was just in Oswego. So far this year we (Randy, Zac Chris & I) did the Peru ride. Zac and Randy went the full 62 miles and Chris and I did 50. We are looking forward to the Blueberry Festival ride in Plymouth and the Zoo ride in Indy. My cyclocomputer went out too. Had a Cateye replaced with a Specialized. I really like it...I can see it without my contacts in. I'm getting in 20 to 35 miles a day in during the week....so I'm looking forward to riding to school a lot this fall. I also got my motorcycle license a couple of weeks ago! I got to ride out motorcycle for the first time today (I used the ones provided by ABATE for the class) It is too fun. Kind of scarey, I definately respect it, but now I would like one of my own. Zac and Chris were in Colorado this last week with Boy Scouts. They got to see all the folks doing the Ride Across the Rockies. Unfortunately not all the drivers were impressed with having to share the road. Zac was quick to say that the whole family does that! Way to go Zac.

    Ya'll be safe out there, may the cars give you a wide berth and the wind be at your back!!

    Diana...dinkyrider

    By Blogger dinkyrider, at 8:23 PM  

  • Hey Dinkyrider,
    Good to hear from you. Sounds like you are spending some time on the bicycle seat too. My seat seems to be part of my body now. Thanks for your good wishes and stay in touch.

    -ClarkWheel (pardee)

    By Blogger ClarkWheel, at 8:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home