Lewis and Clark Cycling Trek

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Day 6, July 9-Grand Rivers (Microtel Inn) to Land Between the Lakes (Hillman’s Ferry Campground)

Mileage: 18.53 miles
N 36.57 X W 88.53

The famous motel continental breakfast: have you ever wondered what it really is? We have been in 3 motels and they have all had about the same:
2 or 3 kinds of cold cereal
2 kinds of juice
Bagels with toppings
Toast or raisin bread
1 or 2 kinds of muffins
Sweet rolls
Coffee or tea
Milk
Condiments
Out west we almost always had a waffle machine as well. I miss my morning waffles.

Notice the low mileage today. We did laundry in the morning and it took up most of the morning. After a delicious lunch in Grand Rivers at the Iron Kettle…fried chicken, chicken and dumplings, veggies, pies, etc. we headed over to the local bike shop called Wood n’ Water. My shifters had been acting weird and I wanted them checked. We also were looking for some high pressure tires for Spokewrench’s trailer. We were able to do both at the shop. Spokewrench got his tires and mounted them. I had my shifter adjusted. We took off for a 20 something mile ride as it was already 2:30. I hadn’t gone 6 miles when my chain got caught between the frame of the bike and the inside chainring and bent the chain. We didn’t bring extra chain links, so I called the bike shop back. They were extremely accommodating. Chase drove out to where we were and picked us up and brought us back. My chain was repaired by 5:30. We decided on a campground 3 miles away instead of 20 and headed there. We had no sooner set up our tent at Hillman’s Ferry Campground when a thunderstorm descended upon us, dumping a half an inch of rain in about 15 minutes. We took cover in the tent and played Lewis and Clark gin until it past. I cooked some ramen and we hit the sack.

Question of the day: We camped in the area designated as "The Land Between the Lakes"...the lakes are Kentucky Lake and Lake Barkley. These are actually reservoirs resulting of the damming of two rivers. What are the names of the rivers?

Clarkwheel

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home